Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Long Time Gone...

Has it really been a month since I posted anything? It's not that we haven't been doing anything, I guess I just haven't had much to share. However, this week is worth sharing!

Steve went TDY on Saturday morning at 7am... the desktop computer proceeds to crash promptly 8 hours later. I thought no big deal, I'll shut it down -- that always works-- and we'll be good to go. Umm, NO! I had the black screen of death. It of course gives me options, too bad none of them actually work! So, I did the next rational thing, call someone who is computer savvy, they'll certainly be able to tell me a few keystrokes and I'll be back on track. I called, and this is our conversation:

Computer Guy: "No problem, you had a backup of your data right?"
Me: "Yeah, some of it, not the pictures from the last 6 months? Oh, and I'm not sure about Steve's thesis he's been working on for 1 1/2 years..."
Computer Guy: "Yeah, umm, you have a BIG problem!"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Computer Guy: "We're just going to hope we can save your data by taking out the hard drive and getting the info on another computer. You haven't noticed any strange sounds have you?"
Me: "You mean like this one (hold phone up to computer)?"
Computer Guy: "That's not a good sound to hear, there might not be any data to save..."

So, I just finished ordering a computer and according to Dell, it should be here in 3-5 business days. Steve is pretty sure he has a backup of his thesis (and a backup of the backup), oh, do I pray he does! Moral of this story, backup your data! So, I've been using the laptop (which is quickly running out of memory) to bring this story to you today!

So, after the crash, we were doing good, until... the cordless phone fell in the bathtub and I hear Steve saying (from the phone) "Am I under water?" I replied, "Yes, yes you are!" Editors Note: expletives are deleted. Don't worry, I didn't electrocute my child, I was just checking the temperature of the water before I rounded him up. Lucky for me, the phone after drying out and a few "Work, you stupid %&^%(&*^)*(&(", the phone came back to life!

Oh, did I mention I also managed to blow up the hot pack for the Pyrex Portables container. Let's just say it makes a pretty decent mess in the microwave.

Good thing this is only a week TDY (and we have 3 days left), I don't want to imagine how much damage I can do in 2 weeks! Guess we'll find out really soon...

1 comment:

Double A's Mom said...

Oh man. These stories still give me cringes (and a few giggles at the deleted expletive part. Ha Ha I got to hear some of those). Oh well. Only two more days now. And Bill said they might get done today and fly home tomorrow. I know. Yeah, right.